With a career now stretching back more than 25 years, Roy Davis Jr was present and correct as Chicago house was taking shape. Counting forefathers of the genre like Lil’ Louis and Marshall Jefferson as contemporaries and influences, tracks like Gabrielle and Who Dares To Believe In Me have come to influence a new generation of producers. It seems fitting therefore, that he’s now working with some of them. A remix for Disclosure is due to drop very soon, and a collaboration with Zed Bias will be part of the latter’s forthcoming album for Swamp 81. They’re not partnerships you’d expect to associate the veteran with, but it’s a sign that his enthusiasm for the genre is still very much alive. An encouraging sign as he headlines the Sound History Tour of the UK this month. In anticipation for his sets in Nottinghan, Bristol, London, Leeds, Brighton and Manchester, RDJ has selected five choice tracks he’s playing out in sets at the moment.
Find out more about the tour from our preview.
1. Doc Link – You Gotta Know (Liberate)
2. Zed Bias & Roy Davis Jr – We Are There (Swamp 81)
3. Roland Nights – Elements (Large Music)
4. K-Alexi – The Dancer (Glenn Underground Remix) (Klassik)
5. Disclosure – When The Fire Starts To Burn (PMR/Universal)